Orion Art at White Dog Studio

Welcome to the Orion Art at White Dog Studio Blog!

Look around...Enjoy the sights.

All artworks are for sale, contact me via this blog or at
maryann@orionwhitedog.com for inquiries. To see more of my paintings visit my website at http://www.orionwhitedog.com/

Thanks for visiting!

Monday, December 28, 2009

A Legacy from my Father (Christmas Gifts)


My Dad wouldn't like it if I was "making a fuss" over his work. But, I have to! I love his drawings. As far back as I can remember, he was always sketching, especially comics. He created characters and played around with the punchlines. He taught us how to draw our own comic characters. There was a steady supply of scrap paper and pencils on hand. My sisters drew paper dolls and designed outfits for them.

My Dad went to The Cleveland School of Art before it became The Cooper School of Art (now closed) for a year.  Then our family started growing, so he set aside art school but he continued with a lifelong interest in art and in bettering his skills.  About 15 years ago, he took a pen and ink class at BayCrafters (now BayArts) in Bay Village, Ohio. The works shown here were produced during and after he took the class.  He loved Pen and Ink!  After Dad died, I was given his sketchbooks.  This year for Christmas I framed 8 of his drawings and gave one to each of my siblings, keeping one for myself.  I loved how they turned out and I wanted to keep all of them!  The hard part was deciding who should have which piece.  Eventually I fugured it out; matching the drawings to personalities and interests.  It was so exciting to give everyone their drawings and see their reactions!  Which were wonderful!!

5 comments:

  1. Having a father who shared his love of drawing; receiving his sketch book, then sharing it with brothers and sisters--what a great Christmas story.

    Beautiful drawings; he must have led you to bird-watching, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, he did lead me to birdwatching. When we moved from the city to the country, he put up bird feeders. That's when I started learning the common birds, after that I took off with birding and he came on bird walks that I was leading. Always so glad to have him along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are all just beautiful and I love what you did with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Celeste, I love them too, and so do my siblings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes...your siblings do love them!!! I don't remember seeing the fish...who's was that?

    ReplyDelete